Main Purpose Of The Job
To provide a significant contribution to major fast track medical technology development projects. The position will require you to apply your mechanical engineering abilities to the development of world-leading medical products for our clients around the globe. You will work within multi-disciplinary teams of highly talented people to develop novel solutions to complex technical problems.
Type Of Work Undertaken By Group
The Medical Technology Division undertakes the development of innovative medical devices and equipment from concept to prototype manufacture, often incorporating considerable technical challenges.
The Division’s activities fall into three focus areas:
- Medical Diagnostics and Instrumentation
- Surgical and Interventional Products
- Drug Delivery Devices
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to market, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
As an engineer in the Instrumentation Technology Group, you will be involved in the hands-on product development and design of complex electro-mechanical systems. You will contribute to multi-disciplinary projects in teams of engineers, consultants and designers. Projects may be in any of the Division’s three focus areas. You will be expected to apply your mechanical engineering expertise to meet the requirements of the projects as well as providing creative solutions to problems.
You will have commercial awareness and will collaborate with both clients and other engineers on technical aspects of projects. Your role may include using your strong technical expertise to liaise with clients to understand their technical needs and to support the preparation of proposals which capture these requirements.
Your specific responsibilities are likely to include:
- Generation of concepts and layouts of systems in CAD
- Detailed design of components and products in CAD
- Tolerance analysis of system designs
- Production of detailed drawings and manufacturing specifications
- Transfer of designs to manufacture through liaison with external suppliers
- Writing technical reports and producing high quality design documentation
- Presentation of designs and technical information to clients
To meet the demanding requirements of this role you will be a talented, creative engineer, with the ability to solve complex electro-mechanical system problems and design ingenious solutions. You will have practical experience with proven technical skills and have postgraduate experience in an engineering design environment. Applicants should also have the following:
- An excellent first degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Experience with electro-mechanical systems including several of the following:
- Drive systems
- Bulk fluids handling
- Motors and Gearing
- Control Systems
- Understanding of manufacturing techniques and assembly processes
- Materials selection, particularly designing with metals
- Hands-on experience of 3D CAD (ProEngineer or Solidworks preferred)
- Tolerance Analysis
- A genuine passion for engineering
In addition the following would be beneficial:
- Experience with robotics or automation
- Experience of designing for the Medical Industry
- Analytical skills e.g. FEA, CFD
We are interested to hear how your skills and experience can help us to resolve the challenges faced during the development of complex instruments and electro-mechanical medical products. However, specific medical device industry experience is not a requirement.
You will be a bright, enthusiastic team player. Good communication skills are essential as a major part of your role will be interacting with clients and multi-disciplinary project teams made up of scientists, engineers and designers.